I am in Zion National Park for a few days and I couldn't help but feel a little gross by having waste in my hands...
I bought a deli sandwich today and was given a free bag of Lay's chips, which looks healthy because a big '0 trans fat' label is on the package!! yahhhh! right?
Well, the packaging is the problem and there needs to be more thought about making products better upstream. Making products friendlier from the onset and not relying on recycling or 'send us your bag' campaigns so that the environment is not harmed by land-fill filling packaging...
I opened this foil/plastic bag and found maybe 15 % were actual chips, while the other 85% was packaging. Thanks! How gross is that? Wasteful!
Something to think about when buying snacks no??
To be fair to Lays, they are hoping to roll out a compostable bag that will degrade naturally in 2010. Let's hope they are true to their word and this helps keep millions of pounds of packaging waste out of the landfills.
I ate the measly 13 pieces of chips and still had this BAG in my hand, feeling guilty about where I should put it....
An interesting link about packaging.